house appraisal

do you have to hire somone or can a real estate agent do it? thanks

glad2behere glad2behere Message glad2behere
Jul '13

It depends if you are looking for an independent appraisal you can hire someone. But if you are purchasing a home witht a mortgage usually the bank brings in their own appraisal company. If you are looking for an independent appraisal I would definitely reccomend Alpha Appraisal 866-415-8916.

Im looking for someone that can appraise my home with no charge

Thanks

Jul '13

I don't think you'll find one for free,sorry. We paid around $400 for ours a few months ago.
We used Arthur Smith Appraisals 908-447-6686

blackcat blackcat Message blackcat
Jul '13

thanks. someone told me a real estate agent would do it for free because they see you want to sell and they want your business.. I dont think there is anything free.

Jul '13

Real estate agents can not appraise a home you have to be licensed by the state to give an official appraisal that would be accepted by bank/lender.

can they, realtor, give some idea?

Jul '13

They can maybe show you what has sold recently to give you an idea where your house may fit but that's about it. Nothing official.

A realtor can give you a basic idea, but unfortunately, they are not the most accurate. We had a realtor tell us our house could sell for $60,000 more than what it actually appraised for. We were TOTALLY bummed. What you can do, is go to trulia.com and type in you city, and recently sold homes in the area. Find homes that are the most similar to your home as far as style, bedrooms, bathrooms, acreage, etc., and that will give you the best info. Ultimately your appraisal depends on comparable homes in the area.

kelleo22 kelleo22 Message kelleo22
Jul '13

We had no home sales to use as comps when we were going to appeal our taxes and had to go with an independent appraisal.

blackcat blackcat Message blackcat
Aug '13

We recently had a home appraisal done because we were attempting to refinance our mortgage. It cost us $450 which is currently in dispute with our credit card company. The appraisal company (selected at random) performed the appraisal but was way off in the calculations, square footage, condition, improper comps, etc. A different appraiser came in 40% higher without even seeing the house, once the corrections were made. In addition, the appraisal company shares its fee with a management company, which apparently is in arrears for up to 15 appraisals. They are the problem. They also took so long to return the appraisal that we missed out on any low interest rates, so an utter waste all around.

Tracy Tracy Message Tracy
Aug '13

we refi'ed last month and didnt need a appraisal.

Aug '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: house appraisal
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Your Web Site (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.